Jim Wilson, Founder of Jimworld passed away in May, 2003. Here's some of his
classic writings. While much of the content is no longer relevant within the
scope of today's search engines, his wit, delivery, and vibe will always
Visit Jimworld.com for more
TOP 10 WAYS TO IRRITATE YOUR VISITORS
Let's face it. It is really hard to come up with new ways to fully irritate
visitors to your site.
I thought I would share some ways that I have found to irritate visitors and
drive them away, thereby saving you money on your hosting bills. These tips are
not in order according to their effectiveness, however #1 is by far the most
effective. For 100% effectiveness, use any three of these techniques.
- Install a script to disable everyone's right mouse click button. When
someone tries to right-click, be sure to pop up a really insulting warning
that accuses them of trying to steal your secret HTML code. Disabling the
right click button will allow you to:
- Keep the visitor from bookmarking your site
- Keep the visitor from using the forward and back browser functions
- Keep the visitor from opening your links in a new window
- Keep the visitor from stopping a slow loading or hung page
- Keep the visitor from using the Reload function to correct a display
- Keep the visitor from printing your secret content
- Keep the visitor from using such illegal tools as the Google site
Admittedly the visitors can do all of these things with the buttons at the top
of the browser, but maybe they won't know that and simply go away as you
intended when you disabled their dangerous right-click button.
- Create a really long page that immediately starts playing your
favorite song and put the stop and volume controls at the very bottom of the
page. This will make sure they do one of the following:
- Listen to the entire song all the way through 5 times while reading your
content, which proves them worthy of experiencing your site
- Try desperately to find the Stop button
- Go somewhere else to stop the song from playing
- Decide in advance what screen resolution your visitors must use in order
to see your pages. It is absolutely a great way to drive them off when they
have to scroll from side to side to read sentences of information. You can
make this 100% effective by making your pages so wide that no monitor can
- The really professional irritator will not settle for just one obscure
browser plug-in. Go for the gold. Use several bloated plug-ins that no one has
already installed. This should drive away all newbies because they usually
have no idea how to install even one plug-in, much less three. Experienced
surfers will be glad to spend 20 minutes installing plug-ins to view your
- When the visitor arrives at your site, be sure to pop up at least two ads
behind their browser window and a minimum of two ads in front of their window.
This will give them lots of options in where to go now that they have been
sufficiently irritated to desire to leave right away. Even more important is
the way you treat the occasional hard case that actually stays on your site
after all of your efforts. When they leave, remind them to never return. Start
popping up windows all over their monitor with windows that multiply every
time they try to close them.
- Sign up to use a really slow-loading hit counter and put the button inside
of a TABLE so that nothing appears until the hit-counter responds. This is
possibly the best way to keep visitors from stealing from you as it keeps them
from even reading your content and possibly typing it into their site from
memory. For this to work reliably, you must avoid putting the height and width
into the call for the hit counter graphic. You can improve the effectiveness
of this technique by inserting not only a hit counter button, but a long
string of banner exchange banners.
- For the occasional visitor that inadvertently makes their way to your
ezine subscription form, fear not. All is not lost. You can still rid yourself
of them by asking lots and lots of personal questions. Don't just ask for
their email address. Ask for their mailing address, phone number, sex, age,
hobbies, religion, race and some other things best not discussed here. This
technique works equally well when applied to your order forms and minimizes
your trip to the UPS office to ship products.
- Splash page. You gotta have a Splash Page. Lots of slow loading animation.
If you can combine this with the requirement to download another obscure
plug-in, you'll have hit a home run. I'm especially impressed by the many
sites that have upped the ante to include two splash pages before you ever get
to even the first word of content. Stunning! Brilliant!
- Reconfigure the visitor's browser window. This will drive them crazy!
People hate it when you run a script on your pages that expands the user's
browser window to fill the entire screen and then do away with all of the
browser Toolbar features such as the Navigation Toolbar and the Location
- Finally, an oldie but goodie. Make your background dark and your text just
a shade or two brighter. This makes it impossible to read your text and will
rid you of visitors before they have a chance to clog up you server logs. If
this is not possible on your site, use the alternate technique of putting most
of your content in PDF files so that the visitor has to download them and
launch another application. Very effective.
Did I mention that all of these cool ways to irritate visitors work even
better at driving away the people reviewing your site for places like Yahoo,
LookSmart and other directories to whom you've paid large sums of money to
review your site and add it to their directory?
Can I pull my tongue out of my cheek now? It's getting sore.
may be copied and distributed on a limited basis for noncommercial purposes
only, with written permission from JimWorld.com, provided that any material
copied remains intact and that all copies include the following notice in a
clearly visible position:
1994-2003 JimWorld.com, a division of iWeb, inc. All rights reserved.